Skip to content
/

When I’ve to connect to the same development machine over and over again using RDP I store the credentials.
But when I later connect again I’ve to still provide a password.
After entering my password 1387 times in the last year I started searching for the reason why it doesn’t use my stored credentials. As it turns out this is because of a local policy.

The problem

When I’ve to connect to the same development machine over and over again using RDP I store the credentials.

First logon attempt

But when I later connect again I’ve to still provide a password.

Second logon attempt

After entering my password 1387 times in the last year I started searching for the reason why it doesn’t use my stored credentials. As it turns out this is because of a local policy.

The solution

  1. Start GPEdit.msc and navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Credentials Delegation
  2. Open the policy Allow Saved Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication (or Allow Delegating Saved Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication for Windows 7)
  3. Select Enabled and click on Show
  4. Enter the server where you want to connect to with the stored credentials. You’re allowed to use wildcards, so I choose TERMSRV/*.int (my development machines are always in a domain ending with .int)
  5. Close the screens and run gpupdate

Now it’s possible to connect to the server without providing the same password over and over again.

Allow delegating saved credentials

Filed under Windows
Last update:
/

After having major, and unsolvable, problems with MovableType (MovableType was causing segfaults in Perl) for over half a year I finally switched to WordPress for hosting my blog.

After having major, and unsolvable, problems with MovableType (MovableType was causing segfaults in Perl) for over half a year I finally switched to WordPress for hosting my blog.

I did consider SharePoint Server 2010 for hosting my blog, but the out-of-the-box support is nowhere near the possibilities with WordPress (or any other major blogging framework).

Configuration

After trying some themes I settled for the Paperpunch Theme by The Theme Foundry.

This is completed with the following plugins:

  • Akismet
    Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web service to see if they look like spam or not.
  • Google XML Sitemaps
    This plugin will generate a special XML sitemap which will help search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask.com to better index your blog.
  • SI CAPTCHA Anti-Spam
    Adds CAPTCHA anti-spam methods to WordPress on the comment form, registration form, login, or all. This prevents spam from automated bots.
  • TweetMeme Retweet Button
    Adds a button which easily lets you retweet your blog posts.
  • Twitter Widget Pro
    A widget that properly handles twitter feeds, including @username, #hashtag, and link parsing.
  • WP Super Cache
    Very fast caching plugin for WordPress.

If somebody has comments or suggestions, please let me now.

/

On CodePlex you can find the “MOSS 2007 - C# Protocol Handler” project. When working with the code I discovered 2 issues which I both fixed. Both solutions are summarized here.

On CodePlex you can find the MOSS 2007 - C# Protocol Handler project. I’m currently using this in a project to index a custom content source.

When working with the code I discovered 2 issues which I both fixed. Both solutions are posted in the discussions and/or submitted as patch and I will summarize them here.

Running on x64

The first problem is the code not working on x64 environments. Since we are talking to native code there are a lot of structs in the code. These structs are containing metadata to indicate the layout in memory. This is done using the StructLayoutAttribute Class which contains a Value Property with a LayoutKind Enumeration and a Pack Field.

The problem is the Pack value was set to 1. This is normal for 32bit systems, but not for 64bit where a pack of 8 is expected.

Lucky enough the following is written in the remarks section:

A value of 0 indicates that the packing alignment is set to the default for the current platform.

This solves our problem! Now the same code runs fine on both x86 and x64 systems.

Using Security Descriptors

One of the most important features of SharePoint search is security trimming. To make this possible an ACL Structure is stored with the crawled item in the index database. The problem is when the ACL is larger then 1kB the crawler goes into an endless loop.

The way it should go is the search service calling the GetSecurityDescriptor method with a pointer and a size. This size is 1024 by default. When the ACL is larger an ERROR_INSUFFICIENT_BUFFER error message should be returned and the required size should be set. The search service then should allocate enough memory and call the GetSecurityDescriptor method again, which is now able to assign the complete ACL to the pointer.

The problem with the current version on CodePlex is the value of the error message is incorrect. Instead of 0x00000122 it should be 0x8007007A (which is also 112). After changing this the ACL will be stored (as long as it’s staying <64kB).